Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I'm going to be sick...Pho Sure

Today my co-workers and I ventured out for Vietnamese. After a scenic walk through West Village, we arrived at the corner of Bleeker and Bedford Streets - at a tiny restaurant named, Pho Sure. I was told what it lacked in size, it made up for in its sandwiches.

CEO Ray, said, "Coby, you have to get the Banh Mi. It's a classic!" and everyone agreed. For those Vietnamese-food virgins out there, Banh Mi is a popular baguette made up of pate, pickled carrots, dai kon, cucumbers, cilantro, mayonnaise and meat - in this instance pork belly.




We walked to the Hudson River Pier. It was breathtaking! I sat and took in the beautiful views - while ingesting my less-than-beautiful breadroll.

I struggled to understand what all the rave was about. The pork was minced and braised in bright red jelly. When combined with the pate, it created a lumpy glue in my mouth. I panned around at the others, who were enthusiastically munching away...only stopping to let out the occasional "mmm" and "yum". So I pushed through. I didn't want to knock back, what was widely considered to be, a Manhattan "must-have"!

When in Rome...do as the Romans do*. Right?
*Does not apply to people with sensitive stomachs whom are considering trying a new, international cuisine.

I'll spare the details. But let's just say this 'Banh' was not for 'mi'.

I'm told Pho Sure is worth revisiting. Apparently it serves a mean soup made of Bull's Penis. But I don't have the balls to try it.

2 comments:

  1. Loving your blogs Cobes. Keep up the good work. And so sorry I wasn't there to hold back your hair on this occasion x x Leil

    ReplyDelete